My hair's been the same length since I was 14!
I took notes from her posts and started putting them to practice. Its been barely a month since I started and I can feel my hair getting healthier!.
So I decided to share them with you + a couple of tips to help grow long and health hair.
In order to Start Hair Care Journey...
1. Review current hair care & styling habits.
2. Stop Bad practices.
3. Create & follow a hair regime.
a. Detangle hair before shampoo.
b. Dry hair with t-shirt rather than towel.
a. Deep condition hair once a week.
b. Add 1 or 2 spoons of coconut, olive or black castor oil.
c. Apply conditioner in sections..
d. Deep condition by using heat. Apply conditioner, cover hair with nylon shower cap & sit under a dryer for 20-30 minutes or use a towel wrap for 1 hour.
3. LEAVE-IN CONDITIONER: used after cleansing and conditoning hair and can be used as daily moisturisers.
a. Apply leave-in conditioner while hair is damp.
b. Apply in sections & focus on the ends of the hair.
c. Don't apply too much product.
4. MOISTURISING & SEALING: Apply a moisturising cream to entire hair then small amount of oil is applied to the hair to lock/seal the moisture in. This keeps the hair hydrated for longer.
a. Do it in sections.
b. Moisturise before sealing.
c. Apply with hands.
5. PROTECTIVE STYLING: Buns, Updoes, Wigs, Extensions (Weaves & Braids)
a. Moisturise and seal before styling.
b. Detangle with hands followed by wide-tooth comb.
c. Minimise daily restyling.
d. Avoid hair sprays or gel containing alcohol.
e. Sleep with hair covered in satin scarf.
6. RELAXER: Every 18-20 weeks
1-8 weeks after relaxer - Buns, Updoes, Hair Free
9-20 weeks after relaxer - Wigs
1. Shampoo hair once a week.
2. Deep condition with heat once a week.
3. Use a leave-in conditioner
4. Air dry after every wash.
5. Moisturise and seal daily.
6. Wear protective styles 90% of the time.
7. Sleep with satin scarf.
8. Comb only on wash days (once a week).
I was using Coconut Oil mixed with Shea Butter as my only hair care product for a couple of months now. I just added Olive Oil to the mixture. Castor Oil is on my 'To buy' list.
Cantu Shea Butter
Since I already use a Shea Butter + Coconut Oil + Olive Oil mixture, I decided to skip on this product cos its basically the same ingredients (Shea Butter and other essential oils)
Cantu Shea Butter
I got the Cantu Argan Oil Cream instead. I love the way my hair feels after using this product.
Organic Root Shampoo
Creme of Nature Shampoo
I've been using VO5 Shampoo & Conditioner for a few years now and I don't know if I'm ready for a change just yet. I didn't bother to check out the pros n cons of using VO5 products cos I absolutely love the way they smell!
If I don't see any improvement after a few more months of sticking to this hair care regime, I'd just get any of the above listed Shampoo products.
ORS Olive Oil Relaxer
I've been using Ozone relaxer since forever (I think that's the first relaxer I ever used). I tried to 'upgrade a few years ago and bought the Dark & Lovely relaxer kit and my hair didn't get properly relaxed.
Sometime last year I tried to leave Ozone relaxer and used Profectiv Relaxer. I had never had my hair look that sleek. It was perfectly relaxed and I think I even had baby hair, lol. But barely 2 weeks after that(after a wash), my hair returned to status quo. So I decided to stick with my cheap product that worked well for me.
But I'm excited to try the ORS Olive Oil Relaxer on my next relaxing date.
They are your best friend while on a health hair journey!
I've got my hair braided in cornrows and wear a wig whenever I have to go out.
It helps you take better care of your hair.
If you don't like my revised standard, check out the full details on HAIRDUCATION
1. Eggs are highly beneficial for faster hair growth because they are packed with protein. You can use an egg hair mask at least once a month. Whip up a few egg whites and apply them to your hair, focusing on the root. Allow the mask to sit for 15-20 minutes before rinsing it out. The egg whites will stimulate hair growth while adding shine and luster to dull hair.
2. Protect your hair from sun
3. Water! To aid your body’s push for growing long hair, make sure that you stay hydrated on a daily basis. Drink around 8 cups of fluids today, focusing primarily on water.
4. Don't use heat styling tools as often. Blow drying your hair every day is one of the best ways to thin out your hair. You're pulling on the roots and heating the shaft, damaging it every time. Instead, let your hair air dry and style it using natural method.
5. Eating a well-balanced diet is a sure way to start growing thicker, healthier hair.
Make sure you get plenty of protein - eat fish, chicken, legumes, and lean meats
Omega-3 fatty acids are essential to hair health. Eat nuts, avocados, and olive oil.
Vitamin B is also important when it comes to nourishing your hair. Make sure you eat plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Biotin is another essential nutrient for hair growth, found particularly in seafood, eggs and soybeans
6. Minimize your stress. High stress levels minimizes your health, and poor health inhibits hair growth. Get regular exercise. Keeping your body healthy helps de-stress the mind.
7. Constant use of elastic bands, pins, and clips stresses out your hair making it prone to breaking
8. Switch over to silk pillow covers. Pillowcases made from cotton or linen, although may feel soft, are rough enough to grab strands of hair and cause unnecessary breakage. Prevent this from happening by simply switching to a silk pillowcase. It will stop unwanted friction on your hair while you sleep.
Are you ready to start your hair care journey?
Come chill with me ...
INSTAGRAM - JustPorsh
INSTAGRAM - JustPorsh
FACEBOOK - JustPorsh
TWITTER - @justporshh
HAVE A GREAT WEEK AHEAD!
THANKS FOR VISITING MY BLOG.