There are some items that you absolutely need ready and waiting in your closet. These make up the basis of your wardrobe; they’re the must haves, no matter what your style — the wardrobe essentials. To be considered a wardrobe essential, an article of clothing has to have several important attributes:
- Trend proof - you can wear them on all occasions without sacrificing style
- Flexible - you can change the whole look of it by adding a couple of accessories
- Your wardrobe foundation - without them you'll end up feeling like something's missing. It's like not having underwear which is essential
- Style savers - use them to tone down a dressy or an excessively trendy outfit
- Outfit multipliers - with for example 12 basic garments you can create up to 80 outfits! (This is called 'Wardrobe Capsule')
- It has to be of good, perhaps even exceptional, quality. A wardrobe essential makes a statement, and anyone looking should be able to tell that it’s top shelf. High quality also means that it wears well — very important for a garment that you’ll rely on again and again.
- It should be in a classic style. You don’t want your wardrobe essentials to ever really go out of fashion.
- It must be a 10. These garments, like everything in your closet, should have all the qualities of a 10, and because they form the basis of your stylish wardrobe, it’s okay to spend a little more for these than you would other, less essential, items.
Black is a classic color for most fashionistas. A lot of wardrobe must-have items are black. Black garments offer many pluses: No one knows how often you wear them. Stains are difficult, if not impossible, to see. The color is flattering on every person and every body type. And with a black basic, you’re free to add color in other areas of your outfit and have fun with prints or great accessories.
Little black dress (LBD)Ah, the little black dress. It should be sexy, yet sophisticated. It should be well-made and fit like a glove. It should hide your flaws and accentuate your attributes. It can go from day (wear it to the office with a cardigan or blazer and a set of pearls and leather pumps) to night (take off the blazer or cardigan and add some makeup, jewelry, and heels).
Choose a LBD in the style that suits you, makes you feel comfortable, and looks most like you. The LBD is both universal and individual at the same time. Find one that makes you feel fabulous and make the investment because this is one piece that really gives you your money’s worth!
Black blazerThe black blazer is key in your wardrobe. Because it’s black, it goes with virtually everything. You can change the look just by changing the accessories.
A white blazer is also a staple piece.
Knee-length black skirtEvery woman should have a knee-length black skirt that fits perfectly and gives her a slim appearance. The particular style is up to you (and what looks good on your body type): It can be a pencil skirt or an A-line skirt.
Quality blue jeansEveryone should have a pair of favorite jeans — you know, the kind of jeans that make you feel sexy, pulled together, and comfortable. Figure out what your body type is, then pick the cut of your jeans accordingly. Some suggestions:
- If you have great legs, you may want a pair of skinny jeans.
- If you want to direct attention away from your waist area, choose a flared jean.
- If you have a great waistline and want to draw attention to it, go for a pair of high-waisted jeans.
If you are only investing in one pair of jeans, go with dark denim. They are more slimming and more versatile. You can wear them totally casual during the day, and you can dress them up for night.
Pair of black pumpsBlack pumps go with everything, they won’t get too dirty, and they can also go from day to night. If you can afford only one pair of black pumps, go with a dressier pair; shoes are generally easier to dress down than to dress up.
When buying shoes, make sure they’re comfortable! Don’t expect them to “break in.” You’re going to spend some money on them because shoes tend to cost a bit more, so make sure they fit right.You can also add a pair of colored pumps to your wardrobe as a staple piece. My go-to color would be red, cos it gives any outfit that 'pop' it needs.
White ShirtThe white button-down shirt should fit you well. At first glance, your white shirt may look no different than the one your husband or boyfriend wears under his suits, but yours is made and cut specifically for a woman. It should be flattering and accentuate your best features. You can wear a white shirt on its own, tucked in or out, under a sweater, under a jacket, or as part of a suit.
Black trousersA pair of high-quality, flat front, black trousers are a necessity in every wardrobe. If you can buy only one pair of trousers, select a length that matches the heel height you most commonly wear.
Black bagA black bag is a perfect everywhere bag, a bag you can wear to work, to lunch, to dinner, and even shopping on the weekend. It goes with everything, and you’ll feel comfortable using it with whatever color or prints you may be wearing. It should be medium-sized: large enough to hold whatever you need during the day but not so large that it looks awkward if you find yourself running straight out to dinner with it.
Gold AccessoriesYou can spice up your outfit with a pair of gold earrings, bangle or statement necklace.
My 10 wardrobe must-haves (last minute decision) include:
1. A white tank top 2. A little black dress 3. A pair of black pumps 4. Gold statement neck-piece 5. A maxi gown (black) 6. A black blazer 7. A denim jacket 8. A black bag 9. A white shirt 10. A black pencil skirt
What does your wardrobe essentials consist of?
HAVE A GREAT WEEK AHEAD!
THANKS FOR VISITING MY BLOG.